Saturday, September 25, 2004

Sharapova into semis at China Open

Wimbledon champion Maria Sharapova set up an intriguing semi-final showdown with fellow Russian and U.S. Open Champion Svetlana Kuznetsova at the China Open after her opponent Jelena Jankovic retired hurt Friday with an ankle injury.

Third seed Sharapova was cruising 5-2 in the first set when Serbian Jankovic took a medical time out before deciding she was unable to continue. Looking forward to her contest with Sharapova, second seed Kuznetsova said: "It's going to be a difficult match. Maria is playing well and so am I... it will depend on what game she plays and what I do."

Sharapova was blisteringly accurate from the baseline, pinpointing strong shots that Jankovic could not chase down. "I was happy to play a very good set. Though she was injured, we did have some good points," Sharapova said. "I liked the way I was playing and today too... I'm still enjoying myself, that's the most important thing."

American Serena also advanced to the semi-finals and will play the winner of the Vera Zvonareva and Anabel Medina Garrigues match.

No comments: