Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sharapova in French Open Sweet 16

PARIS - Maria Sharapova led an early Russian charge into the French Open fourth, beating Anna Chakvetadze at the claycourt grand slam. The second seed needed just 74 minutes to win 6-1 6-4 on the Suzanne Lenglen court before she could head for the shade with another scorching day in the French capital. There are 6 Russians left in the field of 16 women.
"I got off to a really good start, and I was in control from the first game," the 18-year-old said.Sharapova is looking forward to the second week. "It's going to be a lot tougher than it is right now," she said. "I know that as the matches go on, I have to raise my level another notch.
"The matches are going to be tougher, you're going to feel physically more tired. But, you know, the tougher it gets, the more prepared you have to be... that's what it's all about, and that's how the best are the best."

No comments: