Friday, December 15, 2006

Goodbye Tower Records

Tower Records is (and has been) "going out of business". I have been going to Tower Records for the past twenty years. It was a great place to go and "listen" to new releases on their "listening station". This was way before Napster, file-sharing and "streaming audio" on the internet. I can remember bying records(later CDs) having heard just one track of the album and then was so disappointed int he album I never listened to it again. But Tower Records allowed me to "preview" the CD before buyin it. I could(and would) spent hours in the store listening to new releases.

But, the internet(mainly) has brought Tower Records to an end. I wanted to make it to the store one last time to just say "good-bye" to an old friend. So, today I made the trip(I no longer pass right near the store as I did for most of those twenty years) to the nearest Tower Records. It was so sad to see all the bins so bare. I did not think I would find any bargains, since the store has been "selling everything" for the past two months, but I was plesantly surprised. Cds were selling at 85% off, so you can't expect much to be left at $2-4 a CD, but I found the following CDs:(And I got change back from my $20)

1. The Long Winters - Putting The Days To Bed 2006

2. Daniel Powter -Daniel Powter 2006

3. The Stills - Without Feathers 2006

4. Ray Lamontagne - Trouble 2004

5. As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions 2006

6. Augustana - All The Stars and Boulevards 2006

No comments: