Monday, October 18, 2004

Redskins finally win, 13-10

Washington's defense was solid, as it has been all season. And with Mark Brunell still off target, Clinton Portis had to carry the Redskins' offense. That combination barely helped the Redskins end their four-game losing streak Sunday with a 13-10 victory over the offensively inept Chicago Bears.

``I was telling the offensive line all week, `Just give me that crease, give me that crack,''' said Portis, who had his best day since joining the Redskins in an offseason trade with Denver. ``I told them, `Just block your guys, open it up and I promise I will follow you.''' Portis gained 171 yards on 36 carries, making up for Brunell's 8-for-22 passing for just 95 yards. After he'd carried 21 times in the first half Sunday, Portis wanted more. ``I told coach (Joe) Gibbs, `Do you see my tongue hanging out?' He said, No.' I told him to run me until my tongue did hang out,'' Portis said. ``I want it 8 yards, 10 yards, 12 yards. Pickups like that eventually wear a defense down.''

The Redskins (2-4) sacked struggling Bears quarterback three times in the final three minutes, before rookie Sean Taylor's closing-seconds interception sealed the victory. Washington's defense has given up only six touchdowns this season, whereas the offense has allowed four and the special teams one. The Bears (1-4) managed only 160 yards total offense and crossed midfield just three times, scoring their only TD on a Brunell tipped pass for a 70-yard interception return in the second quarter. One of Brunell's few well-thrown passes was an 18-yard TD toss to Rod Gardner on the first play of the second quarter, making it 10-0.

Ola Kimrin, already cut twice by the Redskins, returned from his native Sweden to rejoin the team this week with John Hall out with a groin injury. He kicked a 41-yard field goal to open the scoring and hit a 26-yarder to start the fourth period, giving the Redskins a 13-7 lead.

No comments: